Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

A season for giving

Words cannot do this memory justice, but I'll give it a shot.  As I was sitting in Starbucks one afternoon, I looked out the window to see this young woman and her child putting a pair of new gloves on this man's hands.  It was such a meaningful gift and it got me thinking.  Why do we pass these people by on the streets as if they are criminals or people less than worthy of our respect?  Why do we give a few coins here and there instead of items that are necessary, like meals, hats or gloves?  I try my best to be generous, but after a while I become numb to the needs that these people have - the need for love, the need for contact, respect, warmth.  This image embodies all that we should be doing for our neighbors - we should be giving them not only material gifts, but also love and consideration.  And we should be teaching our children to do these things as well, as this mother has so thoughtfully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment